Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Day One of Rent: a little bit of intruduction is needed

31daysbig

I've thought long and hard about jumping in on Nester's 31 Day writing challenge.  Thought about it most of September, actually, all the while being immensely silent on this blog, ignoring it nearly completely.  Poor thing.  But I have found that I really miss writing.  One day I'll share why I've been quiet for so long, but now is not the time.

Now is the time to share why I chose this topic to write on for 31 days straight.  YIKES.

I thought about all sorts of ideas that I could write about, but nothing that I knew I could focus on for a whole month.  Then I read Nester's tips for writing a 31 day series and the one tip that stood out to me the most was to write where you are.

Right now we are renting and I foresee us renting for awhile since we're finding we are rather picky when it comes to plopping down a few hundred thousand on a house.  Frankly, I'm proud of us for being so particular, but it does make finding a home difficult.  Hence, the renting.

My friend (who is also a renter) has been on to me to get our stuff out of boxes and moved in already!  She swears she could finally breath when that was all done.  So I'm writing this series to also give myself a kick in the pants to get going on some things we've been dragging our feet, thinking we might fall into the perfect home to buy.

A couple disclaimers:

  • I am not a professional nor an expert.  Many folks have written about this topic much better than I can.  I'll actually link to some of them in the next month here and there.  These are just my opinions and personal experiences.
  • Not all rentals are created equal.  We have been blessed with a good one, I think, that fits our needs well.  Also, we've got a great landlord.  That's the basis from where I'll be writing.
 Please, please feel free to comment on anything I say in the comments either on this post or subsequent posts!  Do you have a tip I haven't thought of?  Say so.  I know there's a wealth of knowledge out there in you all that I could really benefit from, and so can others.  Please share.

No comments: