Monday, October 7, 2013

Day 7 of Rent: Make it your own (but ask your landlord first!)

I really intended to post this weekend, really I did.  But I didn't.  Obviously.  I have a feeling my weekends aren't the only ones that fly by, not being sure where all the time went.  Anyone else's like that?  Oh good.

On to Day 7 of Rent!

31daysbig

For the next few days, I want to talk about what you can do when you live in a rental to make it more YOU.  Again, I feel the need to say I am not a professional, but I know what makes me feel like home, and my guess is we have some things in common.

First, ASK YOUR LANDLORD.  Before you do any changes!  I really don't think this is a case of do now, apologize later.  It could cost you your deposit, any references for the future and cause you extra work and/or money if you have to re-do a project to your landlord's liking.

Today I started a simple project Adam and I have been talking about for awhile.  Paint.  Our living room is painted a nice brown but it is really quite dark.  Especially in the morning til about 2:00 before the sun comes around to that side of the house.  This is a room we spend a lot of time in, it is the family room after all, and we're looking to brighten things up.  I put up some lighter curtains (there were a pair of dark brown curtains here already) and now I'm painting.  The good news is, I think two coats will cover it!  Woo hoo!

This is an in-process photo.

photo

The color is MoonRise by Behr.  Looks fairly white, with some blue/green tones to it, not yellow or pink. 

Tomorrow I'll talk more about what you can do to make your rental your own.  Do you have anything you've done to add personal touches to your rental?

No comments: