Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Californina Dreamin'

I finally understand why California is such a pull for people.  It is amazing and beautiful!!!

I have a ton of pictures, but don't worry, I'm only going to post a few.  If you'd like to see them all, please feel free to visit my Flickr stream here! (that link will take you directly to my California Trip set.)

We left snowy Colorado at 12 degrees Saturday morning.  Brrr.  We headed West and finally Utah where we met an unexpected snow storm--awesome!  It was a complete white-out.

Didn't expect white-out conditions on our way to CA.
After about an hour we headed down the mountains toward Las Vegas and finally started seeing patches of clear sky.
DSC_0006
DSC_0007
Las Vegas!
 DSC_0011
After a full night of gambling with the children (just kidding!!)....After a full evening of water shows, walking around and eating, we hit the sack to start early the next morning for the Hoover Dam.
 Hoover Dam Collage
The Hoover Dam was so impressive.  The kids, although doubtful at first, even thought it was cool.  Looking down the 726ft made us all wobbly and shaky!

We pulled into San Diego late in the afternoon and it was so warm (to us, they said it was actually cold while we were there) and sunny.
LEGO Land was our first visit.
A day at legoland
The next day was the San Diego Zoo Safari.  This was unique, but we wish we would have just done the zoo instead.  If we had been willing to spend a ton of money, the safari would have been cool, but just on it's own, plain-jane, it was fairly underwhelming (and we always compare any zoo we go to to the St. Louis zoo, which is just plain awesome and FREE, so it's really hard to beat).
Zoo Safari Collage
That same afternoon we went sea kayaking.  We did this while we were in Alabama this summer but the water was MUCH warmer in Alabama in July than in California in February!  While I don't have a single photo from our experience (we didn't take along any extra stuff since we got completely wet!), it was freezing, and Puck even got sea-sick, it was my favorite part of the whole trip. We kayaked out in La Jolla to see the sea lions on the rocks.  Incredible to see these beautiful creatures in their natural environment!  So.very.cool.

The next day we went to Sea World which is something I've wanted to see since I was a kid and it did not disappoint!  I didn't take my camera in that day, so the only photo I have is one of Shamu jumping from my phone that I can't seem to get anywhere but on my phone. So, maybe I'll be able to get that posted someday.

After that, we got cleaned up and headed for the USS Midway, an aircraft carrier that has been decommissioned and stationed (is that the right word?) in San Diego.
Midway Collage
That night we boarded the Coronado Ferry and went to Coronado Island, where we had dinner.

The trip home was uneventful.  We got half-way, decided we felt fine and just headed straight home. 15 hours. BAM.
We are now convinced:  California is awesome!

No comments: