Thursday, November 1, 2012

What did you do last night?

DSC_0005b

For the past three years we have hosted a Halloween Chili Get-Together for friends here in Colorado before Trick-or-Treating begins.  The chili tradition started years ago when Adam and I would take my dog Rilie (yep, she was my baby and went where I went, that was pre-kid, by the way) to his parents house for Halloween.  About 1,000 kids would come (I'm not kidding) and we'd spend the evening eating chili and sitting on the front porch chatting.  That tradition continued for about 8 years until we moved away from Missouri to Iowa.  We started back up with friends and chili there and have continued on periodically as we've moved from place to place.

Last night was no exception.  I love this night, even though I don't love Halloween.  I love the kids dressing-up, I love being with friends, I love the excitement of a fun holiday.  But I don't love scary.  As in so an adult dressing up so scarily that the littles won't even leave the house.  Great!  WHY would an adult dress up this way?  I don't get that.

DSC_0002
Rainbow Bright, Hockey Player and Batman

This year we had about 26 folks over and it did not disappoint.  The dads are so great to take the kids out and trick-or-treat (BIG thanks to you, Dads!!) and the moms stay back, sip tea and chat while handing out candy (and I might be sucking up just a big since they said that next year they wanted to sit and giveaway candy and have the moms walk around).  After the candy-gathering, all the kids came in to the living room, dumped out their candy and started The Trade.  They'd never done the before, but it was so fun!

DSC_0004

We were all so tired this morning, but the sun is shining and it's a beautiful November 1st.

What did you do last night?

1 comment:

Jen said...

That was fun! We must stand firm, however, and allow the Dad's that extra time with their kiddos! We will just have to do the rough job of handing out candy:)