Saturday, October 6, 2012

Day 5: Getting away

{This was originally supposed to post yesterday, Friday, October 5th. }

Ok, so this one is, again, taking us away from home.

But I think it's so important.  I didn't do this for a very long time.  I thought I had to stay home in order to be the best stay-at-home mom I could be.

The next few days of this series, I want to talk about getting away.  There are so many ways to do this.

Specifically, today, I'm talking about getting away-away.  As in:  out of town, for the night, without your kids (ok, even with your kids--it's fun to go out of town!).  It can be with your spouse, by yourself, or just a few women to refresh yourself.

A few weekends ago I got on a plane, all by myself, and flew home so I could celebrate my Grandma's 90th birthday.  My kids DID NOT want me to leave, and they made it ever so clear that this was not in their desire.  But Adam was gracious enough to keep repeating that it would all be fine, they would be fine, all would be good and that I should go.  And of course, it was great!  So refreshing!  I came back, ready to be with my family even more than when I had left.  The distance really did my my heart fonder.

We are away this weekend as well on business, this time the kids got to come with us.

2012-10-05 13.39.12_Anne_Cornered

The time away from our valley is always refreshing.  Distance can even make your home more inviting.  If you haven't taken a few days away (even one day!), consider it.  Maybe there is a ladies retreat coming up that you'd like to go to but haven't committed.  Do it. Your kids and spouse will be fine.  Maybe it's just a night way with your hubby that you'd like to take.  Do it.  Possibly, you have a grandparent who is getting older, you will always be glad you went to see them, no regrets.  Your kids survive and they will appreciate you even more.  Well, at least momentarily they will. 

This is post is part of a 31 Day series on Being Home.  To read from the beginning, click here.

No comments: