Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Day 23: Gathering Patience

Back in my early mommy days, when I had a little toddler and a baby who would only sleep when I didn't want him to sleep, I told my mom I was praying for Patience and I just hoped that the good Lord would give me a little.  I specifically remember her smiling one of those knowing smiles and saying that it was her experience that when we asked God for patience, He would give us things to be patient with.

These wise words have proved true.  While I certainly can't claim to have mastered patience {a-hem} I do have more and more things with which to practice keeping my patience.  Three kids (or any number, I'm sure) will do that to you, as well as life experiences, and people in general.

One of our kids (who I will not name to maintain this child's dignity) has been sorely trying my patience this whole year with focus issues, homework issues and general argument issues.  I have lost my temper more times than I care to count or admit.  Aren't parents supposed to be the thick-skinned ones?  Shouldn't we, as adults and the mature ones, be able to keep our voice at an "inside level"????

Tonight, the temper monster threatened.  The child's outburst occurred, as if on cue..  And somehow, by God's grace, I was able to hold onto my own temper and show patience.  The homework was done and we had a nice, calm meal together.

And the amazing lesson I really, really want to walk away with and remember is that this whole Patience thing actually got my kid doing the homework.  Shouting and arguing back has never, ever worked.  So why do I continue?

Aren't these the days we all hope can repeat?  I certainly do.

This is day 23 of 31 Days of Being Home.

No comments: