Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Amidst the What If's of our lives

DSC_0017b wm

We walked in the house after a trip to the doctor.  I don't know when the symptoms had become a problem, but one day last week we realized they had gone on too long.  Turns out the way I was treating tummy issues (with probiotics) was precisely how the doctor would have started.  That's comforting.  I am thankful for friends who have walked this child-tummy ache-road before me and are willing to share helps and offer advice.

So we move forward, just as we were, popping a few acidolphilus before dinner, spooning in the yogurt.  Who knew bacteria could be good?  I haven't embraced the homeopathic side of medicine exclusively, but I think perhaps Western medicine is becoming wise to some less conventional ways of tending to the sick.  Lord knows my sinuses will never be the same since nasal irrigation was introduced to me by the Korean doctors.  I was newly pregnant in a foreign country with not a doctor in sight willing to give this expecting woman antibiotics.  Ticked me off at the time, but probably revolutionized the way I look at sickness.  (Perhaps that's a bit of an overstatement, but not by much.)

Excuse my slight tangent.

I was very thankful to know we were doing the right thing.  But it made me wonder what if this isn't it?

What if there's more.  What if it's something more serious.  What if....what if....what if.....

So many what if's each day.

What if I left the house unlocked?  What if I forgot to turn off the space heater?  What if the switch gets accidentally bumped while my hand is in the garbage disposal?  What if I blink at the wrong moment and fling us flying off the road, 80 miles and hour, into the ditch?

What does that say about me that my mind trends toward these kinds of thoughts?

See, I'm much more of a glass-half-full kind of girl than I used to be.  I used to assume the best, hope for the most, seeing the world through those proverbial rose-tinted glasses.

I used to tease/taunt (fine line, don't you think?) Adam for being what he called a Realist and what I called a Pessimist.  But I realize more and more that, you know what?  He's usually right.  About so many things.  And rare is the day when he is surprised by an action, a word, disappointed in an outcome.

I still cling to my 1970s blushing rose glasses, though, I admit it.  I probably am disappointed more often.  But, when I do find myself expecting something worse and then am pleasantly surprised, it's just all the more sweeter.

So, walking away from the medical center this afternoon, looking at Scamp and seeing the look of relief on his face at the "there's nothing wrong with you" verdict passed out, I was thankful.  Thankful for simple solutions, thankful for semi-non conventional remedies coupling with good ol' Western medicine for a reasonable solution for this family.  Thankful for a God who can use all these things together for our good and His glory.


1 comment:

Jen said...

Great news! I feel your relief. Praying some good healing is happening;)