Monday, January 9, 2012

Times, they are a-changin'

My oldest.  My girl.  She is a little girl.  And, yet, she is also a young woman.

She and I have not always seen eye to eye.  We have had our differences.  I'm not sure if we are too similar or too different.  Perhaps we are just two females and therefore, there is discord. 

Emma~10 yrs 1

She is becoming a young woman now.  I see such tenderness in her.  Toward her brothers, her dad, myself.  Sweetness coming out in simple gestures like getting a refill of milk for Puck.  Or helping Scamp find a certain lego piece for his project.  Making sure we have forks at the dinner table.

And then, I'll say something that causes a grumble, an eye-roll, a huff.

Oh my goodness, how this gets to me.  It really, really gets to me!  Immediately, I have a biting remark disguised as motherly-sage wisdom.  Of course, another, larger eye-roll ensues. 



And then, something clicked in the back of my mind a couple of weeks ago.  A memory of my own mom and myself.  I often think about our relationship when I'm lamenting my own quick temper with my eldest and only girl.  We had (and, thankfully, still enjoy) a sweet friendship of the mother/daughter genre.  I finally remembered what my mom would say when my smart mouth would show it's ugly head in an argument.  She said the simplist words.  The only words for which I had no comeback.  She would say, "I'm not going to argue with you."

And how could I argue with that?

So I've started using those same words with Sprite.  And you know what?  It's working.




Long live peace, happiness and harmony between mothers and daughters everywhere!

1 comment:

Jen said...

You have such a sweet daughter and you are such a good Mama! I can't wait to see how God blesses you both! Happy freezing cold day to you! May you stay snuggly warm!