Saturday, December 10, 2011

oh Christmas tree, oh Christmas tree

Ah.  Trimming the tree.  Such a relaxing tradition we engage in year after year.

We were all set to get the tree decorated this morning after breakfast.

I started plugging in the lights to make sure they worked.  The first one I tried didn't work at all.  Then the next strand was half-lit while the other half stayed stubbornly off.  Another half-lit, followed by two more not-at-all-lit strands!  Only two of our previous strands lit up all the way.  TWO.  You can't have a fully lit Christmas tree with two measly light strands.

So, off to Target we went.  I couldn't stand of the thought of Wal-Mart on Saturday, so we headed the other direction, through the Canyon to Glenwood Springs.  Target is always a better shopping experience.

Adam wanted us to get the LED lights this year because they're supposed to last forever, be brighter and cost less to run. But Target didn't have LED lights in the colored variety.

Of course.

So we got what we "needed" at Tar-jay, got the animals some food and treats for their stocking at the pet store (pathetic, right?), hit our favorite lunch spot in town (Moe's Southwest Grill), Lowe's (who didn't have any colored LED lights either, sheesh!), Once Upon a Child (my first time there and can I just say OH MY GOODNESS JACKPOT), and finally, to Wal-Mart, where I finally found the LED lights that I had been searching for and the exact place I had not wanted to go.

Whew.  How's that for a sentence?

Thankfully, the majority of Glenwood residents had decided to forgo their Saturday trip to Wal-Mart and it wasn't too crowded at all.  Miracles.

Home again after several hours of shopping (oh, joy!), down for a short quiet time so Mommy the children could rest and recover.  And then, finally, after much anticipation and some angst (they had been asking to decorate since they got up at 7am til we had to leave to get those lights at 9:30am), the tree was lit (with energy efficient, long lasting, bright LED lights, thankyouverymuch) and all our ornaments were hung.

The cat is a disaster.  I don't think she has it in her to actually leave that tree alone.  She just may spend the next three weeks permanently damp due to the constant squirting of water that is our only recourse for keeping her out of the branches.

(ps. I think I may have used my daily allotment of parenthetical phrases in this post.)

And just to prove that this was a true story:

2011 Christmas tree
Wow, that is one blurry photo.  I'll blame my iPod.

No comments: