Thursday, December 8, 2011

For Unto Us

Ah, my mind is a million different places today and this week and I can't seem to get posts up the way I'd like to.  I've had two really fun photo shoots in the past week and am dying to show you all the results, but when I get time (i.e. the evening) I find I am so overwhelmed and exhausted and MY GOODNESS HOW DID 10pm COME UP SO QUICKLY?  You know those nights?

DSC_0075b

And then my days....Well.  The days fly as you very well know.  Between carpool, conferences, gathering ski equipment, getting snow tires on, laundering so I can clothe and shopping so I can feed, and there's still Christmas shopping to do!  Thank the LORD online shopping has been taken to the next level!  Amazon take me away!

DSC_0070b

Christmas tree to get and decorate, homework to be helped with, dinner to make, sick children to care for (because, YES, we do indeed still have sick children--what on earth is going on around here?!).  A cat to keep out from underfoot, a dog to psychologically counsel, a marriage to nurture and care for. 

All the while remembering that this Season is not just about the tree and the gifts and the music and the I Wants.

DSC_0065

It's the balance.  It gets out of whack and I find myself wanting to shut down.  Mentally, emotionally, physically.

DSC_0064

Time to refresh.  To pause.  To take stock of what the basics are, of what must and need to be done.  What can wait and what just doesn't need attention.

DSC_0067

And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night.  An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified.  But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid.  I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people.  Today in the Town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord.  This will be a sign to you:  You will find a baby wrapped in clothes and lying in a manger." ~Luke 2:8-12

Oh, to have been a shepherd on that hillside.  I think they probably had troubles of their own, a million different things on their minds, a to-do list that involved sheep and friends and family.  What would have gone through their minds when those angels stood around them shining in all their Heavenliness?  That to-do lists, all those mindless tasks, the cluttered thoughts would have quieted as they heard the Good News of Great Joy.  Those things might even have gone away all together as they gazed on the Christ Child's face.

Oh, to have been a shepherd.  Lord, let me have a mind that is focused on YOU and on the miraculous gift that You gave us in a baby, of all things, born of a Virgin--how radical and unfathomable is that?--for this Season of Christmas.

DSC_0072


No comments: