Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A cookie tradition

My kids get it into their heads that certain activities we do around the holidays are “traditions”.  I love traditions, I love doing the expected and creating memories of the same thing each year.  I really do.

Each year we begin Christmas music on December 1st.  Each year the kids make gifts for each other.  Each year we put up a tree and decorate it.  Each year we pull out all our holiday books and spend hours in front of the fire engulfed in the magic of a story.  Each year we celebrate Advent with our Noel Nativity Story (I’ll share more about this soon). 

And as fun as it is to create new memories with the same activities year after year, new things are also fun sometimes, too.  I’m not really a person adverse to change, per se, but I certainly am a creature of habit and change doesn’t not always come easily to me.  Fortunately, I married Adam, who loves change (in good ways) and encourages me to branch out of my little bitty box sometimes.

So I say all that to say that I completely understand when my kids come to me each new year around this time with their wishes of “lets do this again” and “when are going to do that (fill in the blank) thing this year?” 

And you all know how much I love cooking.  But baking is a different story.  My mom is the opposite.  She likes cooking just fine, but give her the chance to throw a pie together or bake a batch of cookies and she’s golden.  So when my kids came to me this year wanting to “make and decorate cookies again, please, please, pretty please??!!” I may have shuddered and trembled a bit at the thought of more baking (why are the holidays filled to the brim with baking?  Why do we need and crave sweets so much this time of year?)  So, I caved and cheated and went out and bought ready-made cookie dough in that oblong package you find in the refrigerated section.  Yeah, you know the one.  It's got that fat, doughy-boy on it.

cookies 1

Please don’t cringe and smirk and call me names--not that I think you really would do those things, but sometimes I can be so insecure!  Be gracious.  We all have our strengths right?  And I’m willing to bet I’m not the only one out there cheatin’ just a bit to get through this holiday season.  Raise your hand if you’re a cheater!!  Cheaters Unite!

So.

Anyway.

We rolled out that dough, cut out our shapes, popped them in the oven.  I must have been asked 56.24 times in the time it took to do all this when, Mom, WHEN will be we be able to decorate them?!?

cookies 2

The package said to bake them for 10 minutes.  It was a loooooooong10 minutes.

When they came out of the oven, my eyes widened and then I just had to laugh at these monsters.  I completely forgot about altitude and baking and trying to alter the dough a bit to get a more normal looking cookie!

cookies 3

cookies 4

And you know what?  The kids didn’t care A BIT.  They thought it was funny and then used their awesome creativity to just make things up with the icing as they went.  Because, let’s be honest, it’s all about the icing.  And sprinkles.  And the eating.

cookies 7b

No comments: