Monday, December 5, 2011

all the yumminess!

It's that time of year again.

DSC_0158b

Time for the red and green, the snowflakes, the sugar, the sprinkles, the laughter and games.

DSC_0161b

My friend, Krista, has hosted a cookie exchange for 13 years.  I've had the pleasure of going last and this year.  So.much.fun.

DSC_0159b

I made cake balls.  Which, really, needs a new name.  Are they close enough to truffles to be called that?  No?  Oh well, I'll keep thinking.  Any ideas?

DSC_0164b

Last year I just put my cookies on a cute holiday plate, covered it with plastic wrap and called it a day.  I showed up at the party and quickly realized I was about to be put to shame.  These ladies can wrap a batch of cookies up tight!  I stepped it up a bit this year, only enough so I wouldn't go insane with bows or tinsel or figuring how to get a flat box into an actual box.  Those things are great, they were all there last night, I'm just not skilled in that way.  But a paper back, a hole punch and some curly ribbon?  Right up my alley!

The best thing about a cookie exchange is getting to spend an entire night with ladies that I might not otherwise see (sweet friends that live "up valley" and why it's hard to get together, I don't know, but it is) and getting to know things about them that shock this naive little girl enough to let my jaw drop just a little.

AND I'm just going to get this out there:  The second best thing about a cookie exchange is the cookies.

DSC_0002

Oh.my.goodness.gracious.yum.

Ginger cookies, powder day delights, peppermint cookies, cake balls, fudge, peppermint bark, cheesecake thumbprint cookies, peanut butter blossoms, chocolate chunk blondies, almond wedding cakes, sugar cookies, granola bars, citrus Christmas cookie, and lemon cookies.

We are eating fine here!  Actually, a bit too fine.  Is justifing a citrus cookie for breakfast--there's orange in there, man!--mean I have health issues?  I did hear from several other ladies that similar justifications were going around town at the same time this morning. So maybe we're all in this together.

I could counter all this extra fat and sugar by a few good runs, if the temperature would just get above 20 degrees!  But until it's warm enough so that my nose hairs don't freeze, I will not be venturing out.

Raise your hand if you do a cookie exchange where you live!!!

No comments: