Thursday, October 6, 2011

Masking tape painting

I've pinned more than 150 things on Pinterest in the last month I've been on.  Want to take a stab at the number of ideas I've actually taken to completion?  Four.  And three of those have to do with food.

Puck needed something to do this afternoon after lunch, so I broke out an idea I had pinned earlier and we got busy crafting.  He's so fun to craft with, his running commentary is something else.

DSC_0010b



In hindsight, I should have used our blue painter's tape or that white-out tape, but I didn't think of that until the whole craft was over.  So, if you decide to do this, use an easy-to-remove tape.  If you don't have blue painter's tape or the white-out tape, I read that using regular masking tape on your clothes a few times before putting it down on the paper works well, too.  All I know is that regular masking tape on card stock did not work.

The simple how-to:

 Like I said, at first I used card stock, but when the tape stuck so badly, I switched to finger paint paper.  I think if you used card stock or water color paper and the other tape options, it would be fine and hold up better then the slick finger paint paper.  We had some tearing when I wasn't being careful at first.

Then, get some tape, tape on your letter or name or picture.  Artist's prerogative!  (psssst.  I didn't get a pic of that step.)
Then paint!
DSC_0001

If you've got a kid who's a real rule-follower (not to be mistaken with the kid who always follows rules, just the kid who likes things just so-so), you might have a hard time getting him to just paint and not try to outline or exactly follow the taped letter.  Encourage randomness.  It helps if you get involved in the process, too.

DSC_0007b

Once it's all covered with paint, carefully peel off the tape.
Picnik collage
The first picture is our first attempt with the inferior materials. The second shows how much better it worked on the finger print paper.

DSC_0008b

These are so fun and colorful!  You could also use crayons, markers, watercolors, pastels, anything would work.  Oh!  I just thought of this:  a mixed media project.  I love mixed media!  I might try that with all the kids together on one of these afternoons where we're stuck in the house.

So when is the last time you stopped pinning and started doing?  My next hopeful to-do is an autumn wreath and I really want to spruce up my couch pillows.

What are you crafting lately?

No comments: