Friday, September 23, 2011

Fall Walk

I had no idea today is officially the first day of fall.  But it is!  Welcome to the best season!
DSC_0150b
Puck and I read some "fall-ish" books.  Poppleton in Fall is a goodie and I love Cynthia Rylant.  Pumpkin Day, Pumpkin Night is one that speaks to kids and the mama alike.  And then we threw in Where the Wild Things Are for good measure.  A book that fits any season, don't you think?  I'm a sucker for children's books with great illustration and witty verse.
DSC_0148b
We then decided to head out on a fall walk.  I had deemed today the day to clean the oven, so it was doubly good to get out of the house to avoid a possible smoke/stink induced headache.
DSC_0143b
It was just 9:00am, so still a bit chilly when we started.
DSC_0153b
We found a worm.

We collected leaves, which Puck later used to create a collage on construction paper.
DSC_0164b
This is one of the only truly orange leaves I've seen in our area.  Puck noticed that it matched his jacket.  Boys in orange jackets--love!
DSC_0160c
Are the leaves changing where you live?  I know these photos make it look like we're swimming in fall colors, but really we're not yet.  There are just a handful of trees changing so far.
DSC_0161b
The reminders that our fair weather is short-lived are everywhere.
DSC_0165b
What are you doing to celebrate this first day of Fall?
This evening is our school's Family Fun Run.  This will be the first year I've actually made it a fun run.  It's always been more of a fun walk for me.  Woo hoo for small steps-HA!

No comments: