Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Screaming by at 90 miles an hour

Oh my.  A whole week without a post.  That can't be good for blog traffic.  Anybody still there? 

Summer is like that, isn't it? I lose myself in it's lazy, warm days.  Beautiful the way the time seems to float along at the beginning of the summer months.  Taking it's own sweet time as I look forward to trips, time at the pool and park, slushies from the downtown store.

Then, suddenly, it's August, and I'm frantically grasping at the days as they scurry by in a blur.  Less than three weeks and we'll  be starting carpool, back-to-school nights and homework.

August, oh August, why must you be in such a hurry to be over and done with? 

We bought school supplies last week.  Always a surprise.  Not just the cost (which wasn't too bad this year, actually) but the time in which it takes to pick out a simple 3-ring binder, a pack of pencils, the perfect pencil box.

Next week will be more of a challenge in the shopping arena:  school clothes.  Sometimes I wish our school required uniforms so I could just order the right size and not have to actually enter a store, see all the "deals", see the way the skin-tight jeans fit on my beautiful, yet still very young, daughter and be frustrated at the way our culture thinks little girls should look.  Can anybody else relate?

When we went to bed last night, the house was at 78 degrees.  We left our windows open all night, just like we have the past few months, and when we woke it was 61 degrees.  That makes for some chilly toes on hardwood floors in the morning!  Brrrr.

Yesterday I sat on the deck reading and a leaf fluttered down.  A leaf.  A friend today told me she saw some red topping a tree in our valley.  Say it ain't so.

How will you pass the rest of the summer?  I plan on relishing the warm days (because they do get there, it might just take until about noon before it does), going to the pool as much as possible, gobbling up slushies while we still can, and grilling and eating on the deck as often as we can.

No comments: