Thursday, June 23, 2011

Extreme exhaustion

We all have different ways of coping with sleep deprivation. 

Grogginess, lack of concentration and focus, a general air of dazed-ness.  Forgetfulness, grumpiness, sleepiness.  Lot of other -ness-, too, I'm sure.

Summertime brings on lots of laziness (oo, oo, there's another one!), but also lots of business (stop me, please).  And busy + late nights + kids-who-wake-up-at-the-same-time-every-morning-regardless-of-when-bedtime-was = exhausted kids.  Not to even mention the exhausted parents.

Perhaps that would explain why, in the wee hours of this morning, I was awakened by a seething Sprite.  All I heard was "screaming" and "middle of the night".  That's all my very foggy mind could grasp before I got up and my just-waking-up ears registered that screaming was, indeed, coming up the stairwell.  From two floors down, mind you.

I raced down and into Puck's room.  There he was:  sitting up in bed, crying and screaming his eyes out.  I couldn't get a coherent word out of him, so I picked him up and took him to the bathroom.  Typically, this will do the trick.  Not this time.  The sobbing continued.  Adam came down to rescue me.  He finally got Puck calmed down, with only the slight post-tears hiccup here and there.  Back into bed, I sat with him until he fell asleep.  It took 30 minutes.  That's half an hour, people!

Puck still wasn't able to tell us why he was up and screaming.  I can only chalk it up to extreme fatigue.

But the best part of the whole thing?  Scamp, his roommate, his bed not 5 feet away, slept through the entire episode.  Amazing.

DSC_0034
The little stinker with his Grandpa.

No comments: