Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Salsa Especial

This could also be entitled "Fire Roasted Salsa" or, more simply, "Yum".

Salsa10

Adam came home last week with a huge plate of Costa Rican food from a meeting they had had at school..  Along with the plate of delicious chicken, beans and rice, was a huge bowl of homemade fresh tortilla chips laced with cayenne ( oh my! lip-tingle!) and a bowl full of beautiful homemade salsa.  Our Spanish teacher is quite the chef.  He was kind enough to give me the recipe and I'm passing it on!  It's amazing, you all, really amazing.

It's fresh.  It's just a bit spicy.  It's so pretty.  And the roasting gives it a really interesting, deep, rich flavor.

Now, I have to be up front and say that I changed a couple of things, but that's just the way I am.  I love an actual recipe to follow, but I rarely actually stick to the recipe.  Call me crazy.

What you need
6 jalapeno peppers (I used 4 green jalapeno and 2 red fresno)
1 red onion (big)
6 fresh tomatoes
8 garlic cloves
2 bunches of cilantro
1 large can of crushed tomatoes
1 lemon or lime, juiced
Salsa2
Please just pretend there's a can of crushed tomatoes in there.  Thanks!

Cut the peppers, fresh tomatoes, onion (make sure the tough outer skin is pealed off) and garlic cloves in half or quarters and throw in a baking pan.  I'm a chicken and cut the seeds out of two of the jalapenos, but you don't have to.  Drizzle well with olive oil, then salt and pepper.

Salsa4

Roast at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes.  If you're the sensitive type, you may want to do this on a nice day so you can have your windows open.  I did.  Boy, those peppers really make my nose tingle!

Remove from the oven and chill for about 15 minutes.  Mine ended up being close to 30 minutes due to a quick park run.

park

Mix the veggies together with the chopped cilantro (chop it better than I did here, makes for a smoother texture), can of tomatoes and lemon/lime juice.  Salt and pepper as you see fit.

Salsa8  
I find it a bit gross looking at this stage.  Just continue on and you'll reap the rewards.  Promise!

Pour into a food processor or blender and pulse away.  Chill before serving.

DSC_0044

Oh, you'll love this!  And, it makes a ton.  I'm not even exaggerating.  I didn't measure, but if I made a guess I'd say I have about 8-10 cups of salsa.  Freeze!  Give away!  Have a salsa party!  Can! 

My mom would be so proud of me if I canned, but I don't...maybe someday, Mom!

No comments: