Monday, October 18, 2010

Traditions

From now until New Years is my very favorite time of year.  I don't know if it's the colors of the trees, the brisk, fresh air, the slew of birthdays and holidays, the way the house feels so cozy, or the warm glow of the autumn sun.  It's probably a combination of all these things.  And, from reading around the web and talking with friends, I think it's a general consensus that this is the most wonderful time of the year. 

I start baking more this time of year.  It's nice to have the oven warm the house up nicely, not make it an unrelenting inferno. 

DSC_0020f

I usually get the craft-bug, also.  I'm much more willing to let the kids get out paint, play-do and beads to create. 

While I rarely (as in never) decorate for any of the spring or summer holidays, I don't mind one bit getting out my fall arrangements, gathering a bouquet of red, golds and oranges for a centerpiece, placing pumpkins on the mantel and front porch. 

DSC_0053b

And Christmas.  Christmas!  It has to be the all time favorite for me and Adam.  Not only did we first meet on December 2 so long ago, but we were married only a few days before it, as well. (Not in the same year, though, I feel the need to tell you.) The decorations, the advent, songs of the coming Christ and the lead-up to The Day are the best way to end the year.

DSC_0049b

While these things may seem very simple, they have all become traditions for our family.  My kids have come to expect the promise of homemade goodies coming out of the oven, carving pumpkins, our annual tree hunt, the climax of the advent story unfolding every night in December.  For these expectations, I don't want to disappoint.  I want them to have these memories, to share them with their own kids, and to want to recreate their own traditions with their families some day.

What about you?  What traditions are you leaving as a legacy for your family?

No comments: