Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Chocolate Chip Mixed Nut Pie

I'm working on getting more of my recipes over to this blog.  The other day I came across this pie recipe.  Thank goodness!  I made it for our school's bake sale 2 years ago and they said it was a hit.  I must have lost the written recipe between then and now because when I went to make it again this year, I couldn't find it!  I quickly wrote Melissa.  She didn't have it!  I called my mom in the hopes I might have given it to her.  She didn't have it either!  I resorted to looking online for a similar recipe.  Nothing was similar enough!  Then, brianstorm.  I vaguely remembered blogging it.  Sure enough, I had.  This is why I blog, peeps!  It's not all about kid-isms and photos.  Food plays a huge part in my life and I want to remember it, too.  Please make this pie this coming holiday season.  Or this weekend.  Whatever works for you!

Oh my.  This pie is divine. With the holidays coming up (I know, they're not immediately around the corner, but they'll be here before we know it), this is a perfect pie. Top it with whipped cream or ice cream. This comes from my Texas friend, Melissa. Thanks, Melissa!! Oh, the good times we all had together just eating!

**note:  the following recipe is for ONE pie.  However, the pictures are sometimes of two.  Bottom line:  the recipe doubles nicely.**

What you need:

Pie crust dough (you can make your own or do what I do, and get the kind in the refrigerated case, just don't tell my mom!)--you need only 1
3 eggs
1 cup light-colored corn syrup
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup butter--melted and cooled
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans or mixed nuts
1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 Tbs. butter or shortening

Place the pie dough in a 9- or 10-inch pie pan. Don't prick it, but press it into sides.

DSC_0200

In a mixer, beat eggs, then add in corn syrup. Add brown sugar, butter and vanilla until sugar is dissolved. Stir in nuts and 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Carefully pour filling into pan with crust. Cut dough to fit pan, and you can do any sort of fancy design on the edge. Place pan on foil or another baking sheet because it tends to leak over.
 
 DSC_0203 copy

Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes (at my altitude, 8,000+, this actually took almost 1 hour, so keep that in mind, based on your alitude.  Our altitude is now slightly lower, 6,300, and it still took 1 hour). The top should be sort of solid/crispy. My test is, I jerk the oven rack a bit, and if there's no jiggling in the pan, then it'sgood.

I chose to do the fork-tine print on one of my pies.  It looked professional and pretty, ie. store-bought.  The other pie was this fluted-look.  Also pretty.  In the oven, the fluted pie crust decided to fall all over the edge and then the pie insides decided to spill all over.  It looked awful, I thought.  I chose to do the fork-tine print on one of my pies.  It looked very professional and put-together.  The other pie was this fluted-look.  Also pretty.  In the oven, the fluted-pie crust decided to fall all over the edge and then the pie insides decided to spill over.  It looked awful, I thought.  But, at the end of the bake sale, guess which pie was left?  Yep!  The really perfect looking pie!  Just goes to show, the homemade-look beats the store-bought-look any day! 

Meanwhile......take that 1/3 chocolate chips and the tablespoon butter and melt together in a saucepan or in the microwave (just for about 30 seconds). Stir together. When pie has cooled just a bit, use a spoon and make zigzag lines all over that pie. So pretty!

DSC_0228

No comments: