Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Asian Chicken Grill

I have a recipe to share with you all.  I was going to post in on From the Stovetop, but keeping two blogs going is just so much trouble.


I also have to excuse myself for the white-balance issues I was having the day I took these. 

So, without further ado, I give you Asian Chicken Grill.

I made this up while living in Korea.  It's not terribly original, but the chicken is so tender and I love the marinade.  And, anything cooked on the grill is my friend, since it means way less clean-up than traditional cooking.  When I was living in Korea, though, I didn't have a grill, so I did this under the broiler.  Either are fine (but remember, grill=less clean-up=happy cook!).

What you need:

2 small zucchini, sliced fairly thick
1 red bell pepper (or green or orange or whatever makes you happy), cut into large squares
about 2 cups white button mushrooms--I left a lot of these whole, but you could cut them as you wish
3 chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces

009c
Note that the chicken isn't in this picture.
 
for the marinade
Now, here is where my measuring phobia kicks in.  It's not that I mind measuring things out, but if I don't have to, well......less dishes.  I suppose it's actually a doing-the-dishes-phobia, not a measuring one.

So, here are the ingredients with what I think I used as measurements, but you can experiment with what you think your family will like.

about 1/2 cup soy sauce, you can also use Tamari, which is very good but I didn't have any
about a splash or two of rice wine vinegar
about 1/2 cup olive oil
a few pinches salt
a shake or two of onion powder (you could omit this and actually put in onions with your veggies, but we have onion issues in this house)
a shake or five of garlic powder (Korean cooking is nothing without a lot of garlic)

Mix the marinade ingredients in a gallon zip-lock bag, dump in the veggies and chicken and squish around so it's all mixed together.

010b

Throw it in the fridge for about 4 hours or longer.

*Confession:  I only marinated mine for about 2 hours.  It was great.

When you're ready to cook dinner, heat your grill to about medium-high heat.  You want it kind of hot to get that great char that I love and my kids call burned.  Silly kids. 

Turn it all every so often, till everything is looking good and yummy.  Should all take about 7-8 minutes, depending on how big you cut your chicken.  Put it all on a platter and serve it up.

asian chicken grill

Not only is this dish great for easy clean-up, but it's an all-in-one, too!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm. Looks quick too which is right up my alley these days-along with Asian. Yum. Will be trying!
Kim

The dB family said...

Yum! And it uses zucchini too! At this time of the year, I can always use recipes that have zucchini in them! I'll have to make this very soon! Thank you for sharing it!

Blessings!
Deborah

The Breedloves said...

Actually made it! Loved it. Tried adding tomatoes... wouldn't recommend that. They didn't really go. Will be having it again.

The Breedloves said...

sans tomatoes

Cathy said...

Anything you can throw in a ziploc bag for later grilling is right up my alley. Thanks for this simple doable recipe. I can even think of some other additons in the marinade that might work well.