Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Obsess much?

I've had awhile to get to know me. You think I'd know me by know. But, over the last year or so, I've come to realize something about myself that I somehow overlooked, possibly ignored.

I am an obsesser.

That's not even a word, but that's okay! I'm not going to obsess over finding the right word, like I often do. (At least in writing, I think in speech I'm pretty much okay with blurting out the first thing that streaks it's way through my brain, for better or worse.)

For instance:

The traffic ticket I received last month was dwelt upon for days, and, if I'm being honest with you all, for weeks. Totally disrupted my sleep.

The camera lens that Adam had to practically insist that I buy was toiled over for, again, weeks, had even been loaded into my 'shopping cart' for an entire week (okay, two weeks) before I finally hit the 'Buy' button.

Now , (and, this one being the stupidest by far, I admit it!) I have labored over a few photos in editing for, again (see a pattern developing?) weeks.

(I have also used italics far too much in this post already, but I'm okay with that.)

Back to these photos I was talking about.....
Girls compare collage
I downloaded a free trial of Photoshop Elements 8.0 and it runs out in about 10 days. For the first day I completely ignored that little square of aqua on my desktop, frightened of opening it up and not knowing what to do.

Boy compare collage

Finally, I did open it up, and my fears were confirmed: I. knew. nothing. Nothing! It even took me several minutes just to figure out how to open a photo! Whew.....talk about humbling.

Group compare collage

After a few Google searches and web-surfing sessions, I figured out a few things. I even downloaded some "actions", something I've been longing to do ever since I saw these beauties on The Pioneer Woman. But, even with all these things, I still wasn't happy with the results. I posted a few samples here, but, honestly, I wasn't thrilled. I like my black-and-whites to really pop, not to be, well, blue-and-white.

059c
(Obviously, this one isn't a comparison, I just think my sweet friend is really pretty!)

So I know that the photos being compared in these collages aren't the same, but, generally they are. And, more importantly, they show what I was able to do in Picnik (what I've been using for several years now) compared to what I was able to do in Elements.

Confession: I like Picnik better. Am I officially a photography dweeb? I'm able to create much nicer black-and-whites, clearer colors and more vivid images with Picnik. It's just plain true.

Those of you out there who know and love PSE are most likely shaking their heads right about now. It's completely possible that I don't know what I'm doing still on there. That I'm misusing the program and performing all sorts of errors and not even knowing it.

Along with learning that I am an obsesser, I am also realizing that I am okay with who I am, with what I'm doing, and that it's okay to not understand layers and masks and filters and flattening and all those other things that I really wish I knew but don't.

SO, what do you all out there think?

3 comments:

mwell said...

Wow - I like them both - LOL.
(At least...I like what *you* do with them. I am completely clueless about either one.)

You are right though I do like the deeper contrast of the Picnik ones. (Although I think I like the 'lightness' of the eyes with PSE) Hmmmm... I think I'd obsess, too. :-)

Either way - I think you have an amazing talent!

Blessings,
Michelle

Marla said...

I'm a photoshot user... And probably wouldn't be able to figure out Picknik or Photoshop Elements. I say stick to what makes you happy. :)

Marla @ www.asthefarmturns.wordpress.com

The dB family said...

Lol! I'm an obsessor too. I like Elements, but I do think it's what you get used to. I do agree with mwell though about the brightness of the eyes. I like when you can see the details in eyes. Like Marla says though, stick with what makes you happy. Your photos are BEAUTIFUL regardless!

Blessings!
Deborah