Thursday, January 7, 2010

Self-Portraits: Harder then they seem

Several bloggy friends have taken some really cute self-portraits lately (Emily and Dianne are a couple) so I thought I'd try my hand at it. This thought was reinforced by the fact that when I tried to find a recent photo of myself for a profile pic the most current I could find was in May. May. As in seven months ago. Sad. But that's the cost of being the one behind the camera all the time, and actually, I am usually very happy for it to be that way.

Today was glorious, sunny and blue, and not too cold. (I realize 28 degrees may feel cold to those of you who live with humidity, but here in the Rockies? It's quite nice.) I ventured outside this afternoon to see if I could catch some shots of me and the dog. Let me just say, Winnie was much easier to photograph when she was smaller!!

031b

First

033b

she knocked me down

034b

and rolled me over.

032b

Attacking my armpit was her next move.

035b

I finally grabbed her, held on and

030b

finally got my perfect shot!

Seriously, isn't it good? I love the way my eyes are all squinty and wrinkled. My nose is scrunched just so and my lips are plastered to my teeth. And Winnie's eyes are wild and crazed.

Perfect!

My next step was ask assistance from Addison. Note: Don't ask a three-year-old for help taking a picture. They are no help.

020b


019b

I'll settle for this one, it's marginally better and since it's only part of my face I like it better.

Have you done a self-portrait? Do you have any tips? You can see how much I'm in need of them!!

11 comments:

dianne - bunny trails said...

What camera are you using? I use my Sony point & shoot for self-portraits. It's much easier to handle than the Rebel. Unless I'm shooting in a mirror. I also try to shoot down (I'm looking up a bit) as it's usually more flattering. Also not straight on, but angled just a bit.

I think your series is a lot of fun even if it didn't accomplish what you set out to do. I like the last one, though. It's a good shot. I also can't believe how long your hair is!

carrie said...

self portraits are hard. I use a tripod for most of them.

I really like that last one. Your eyes are soo pretty!

Michelle said...

Awwww - I think that the nose-scrunchy one is CUTE...but I LOOOOOOVE that last one! Oh my goodness - You are SO pretty!

(And I hate photos of myself - so getting a 'good' one is an impossible task) :p

Michelle

Emily said...

I use a tripod every time. It's ridiculous trying to hold a 2 lb camera and look good doing it. :)

I love your eyes in the last one. Gorgeous!

Beth said...

What great tips! Tripod, ok. Point-and-shoot, ok. Now, I just need a remote :)

Melissa Stover said...

hilarious! at least you got one good one. beth at pages of our life did a great self-portrait tutorial. i followed her advice and got the current profile pic i use.

Timi said...

Winnie is sooo beautiful dog!!! I like the photo of her and of course I like the photo of you, too :o)))!!
Well, I haven't done a self-portait, I always ask my daughter or my husband to make it...I am usually the one behind the camera, just like you :o)..

Anonymous said...

You are so beautiful Beth! Emma looks just like you...
Pam

Anonymous said...

It is so good to "see" you! And that last picture is beautiful and looks like Emma.
Well done Beth.
colleen

Becca~TimeWellSpent said...

Very cute! No help here as I'm always the one behind the camera as well and pictures of me are few and far between.
Came over from A Familiar Path~so great to meet you! I also do all my editing with picnik. Love it and although one day I'd love PS it's a little intimidating considering how easy picnk is;)

MarshaMarshaMarsha said...

I followed Beth's tips at pagesofyourlife as well. Tripod, doorway, remote (or timer). :)

Actually, I like all of those pics. It's nice to have action in a photo, rather than plain posed ones all the time.

And that last pic? Muy bueno!!! You look beautiful!