Monday, October 26, 2009

The Latest Greatest

We have quite a commute to school and this is my week to carpool the morning shift. I like to listen to the news on the way, but I don't always think it's the best thing for the kids to have their innocent little ears tuned into. I typically crank the control all the way to the front of the car and hope their chatter will drown out the rest. It usually does.

So when I listened to a long feature on the one thing that is sure to be the latest-greatest-got-to-have-it-toy-for-the-upcoming-holiday-season, I switched off the radio, got my kids' attention and asked them, "Have you heard of a toy called a zoo zoo pet?" (Little did I know they are actually called "zhu zhu pets".)

My girl piped up, "What's that?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know exactly. I was just wondering if you had heard of them."

Silence. Then, "But what are they?" from the 8 year old again.

Me, wishing I hadn't said a thing about the little rodents, "They're a toy."

The eight-year old, "Oh." Long silence. "I want one!!"

Now, please explain to me why a person with no means of earning income on her own, without knowing more than that a thing is a toy and that her mom has now heard of it, would so desperately desire this said thing.

041bw

I guess I have a long way to go as a parent.

2 comments:

dianne - bunny trails said...

Oh my!! Scary, isn't it?

mwell said...

Ugh - I can't stand all of the ads this time of year. My generally polite children get a bad case of the "I WANT's" for every little thing. I think I'll ban all TV in November/December this year.
(and apparently the radio, too) :-P

Good luck on your end!

Michelle