Monday, August 3, 2009

Going off automatic; white balance

Today is Show 'n Tell day at A Familiar Path. Today's focus is white balance. I had a slight understanding of white balance before this, but never knew what to do with it. I just always "warmed up" my pictures in the editing process. I just might be able to skip that step now! I took the following series of photos with my Nikon D40 on the P setting (does that stand for "program"?), then changed my white balance setting using the menu button. I chose florescent since it was early morning and I had all my overhead florescent lights on. I'm not sure what it does, but I could then change my WB setting by degrees, from -3 up to +3, so I did that for the same pose of Emma. Anyway, totally boring post, but I learned a ton!

013
Setting is on Florescent, 0

Whitebalance, flor, 1-3
Still Florescent, but at +1, +2, +3 (respectively)
Note: Look at how blue these are!

WB flor; -1--3
Florescent, now at -1, -2, -3 (again, respectively)
Note: I like the first one the most!

021
As a comparison, this one was taken on the preset Auto White Balance setting.

022
And this one was taken with my settings knob on AUTO all the way, so the flash came on.






6 comments:

Melissa Stover said...

that's so neat that nikon has those varying degrees. my canon doesn't have that.

i love that you experimented with different settings and compared them.

i'm so glad you're learning!

tatumfam said...

I really like how your camera can set the white balance by degrees! You can really tell a difference!
Very good pictures.

Emily said...

How fun...I like using the bright sun one, but that's the only one I use besides the auto wb.

Auto ROCKS. ;) haa,haa

deb said...

I have a NikonD40 as well , and have yet to figure this out. Thanks for the specific information, I will look back here when I tackle this . And I WILL tackle this
these were vastly different pictures, it is worth it.

Julie said...

You can really see the difference in your photos! Great job. :)

mwell said...

Well since I just have a 'point and shoot' I have no idea what you just said - LOL. But the photos, (and especially your model) are all gorgeous as usual! :-)