Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Vineyard

It was late June the first time I tasted Korean grapes. I was very disappointed. They were beautiful, but so tart! The skin was tough and each grape had several seeds in the middle. I decided right then and there I would never waste money on Korean grapes again. They were too expensive to be that bad.

IMG_0482


About a month later, we went to a vineyard with the school with whom we were working (and Emma was attending). I'm not sure what I was expecting, but this wasn't it. I guess I had in mind a typical California or European vineyard where there were rolling hills, wine tasting galore and lots of Adirondack chairs to sit in. There were no Adirondack chairs. The hills did not roll. And there was not wine. However, this last tidbit was probably best, as we were on a preschool field trip.

IMG_0483

September 2006
But, best of all, we all got to taste the grapes. Ripe from the vine.

My first impression of Korean grapes could not have been more wrong. These were juicy, so sweet and actually tasted like, well, wine! Delicious! The skin was still a bit tough, and there were seeds, but everyone just squeezed the fruit out of the skin, chewed up the grape and spit the seeds out. Not very pretty, but well worth it.

No comments: