Thursday, January 1, 2009

A New Year's Like Never Before....at least for me

Our "biggest" New Year's was Y2K when we had a handful of people over to see if everything would still be there at 12:01 am, January 1, 2000. And I use the term "biggest" very liberally. It was fun, relaxed, and very, very low key.

This year was a change for Adam and I. Some friends asked us up to a place called Zach's Cabin, up on top of Beaver Creek Mountain (I think it's called). Here's a picture of what it looked like when we saw it last night (I'm so bummed I forgot to take any pictures of our evening). The most common way to get to this restaurant is not by car, by bus or even by ski lift. It's by sleigh. (Not a one-horse-open, but a diesel billowing snow cat. That's not the kitty cat version, either.)

Not our group, though. No way. We showshoed it up the entire mountain. Granted it was only maybe half a mile, but walking up a steep incline, in the dark, in snowshoes for the first time makes for a fairly impressive way to start the New Year. Especially when it's topped off with an amazing 5-course meal of super tasty quality. Is "super tasty" a quality? The chef probably would not be amused, but I don't have all that fancy Iron Chef language I most likely need to describe the flavors and aromas wafting off our plates. Scrumptious, man!

After ringing in the New Year (I haven't seen in the New Year for quite some time) with bubbly, we snowshoed back down, which was much easier. There were also a few belly-slides along the way, but we won't talk much about 6 grown adults sliding down the mountain on their tummies. But, I will say the boys started it.

2 comments:

Kysha said...

Just stopping by to say hello. Happy New Year!

Dawn @ My Home Sweet Home said...

Beth, that sounds like an absolutely amazing experience, even if the food had been lousy! Wow.