Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Too Gross and Yea!

I'm taking a page out of Carrie's book, and while things are busy and I have nothing interesting to contribute but want to keep interest in my blog, I'm reposting a little tid-bit from last year. It's actually two consecutive posts, but I thought one wasn't fit without the other. I think I had blocked this out of my mind, because I had completely forgotten about this incident. It's crazy to think about the differences between my little New York apartment and my spacious (by comparison) townhome here in Colorado.

Too Gross: originally posted on November 4, 2007

I was going to post some photos of parts of our apartment that Adam took this morning, but I just couldn't bring myself to put something so awful, so grotesque, so disgusting on my beautiful blog. So, if you think you can bear it, go here (pics not here anymore, so sorry. They really were gross, you'll just have to believe me) and you can see for yourself what I am talking about. (Sharon, you do not want to visit these pictures!!! I mean it, absolutely not joking here. In fact, I would suggest you just not read this post. Come back another day, ok? Or better yet, go see your cute grandkids over at our family blog.)

Now, on with the story...

We were awakened this morning to squeaking. Yes. We have mice. We discovered their residence about 2 weeks ago, and have since caught 2. Lest you think we personally are so dirty as to have mice, let me reassure you, we are not. Apparently there are many living in this building. Some apartments have them, some don't. Obviously, the mice-less apartments have had their mouse holes stopped up appropriately. Ours, equally obvious, has not.

The first mouse caught was found in one of those "no kill" traps out in the part of my kitchen that our kids could get out, behind some pipes. I actually had to call Adam home from Bible Study to get it. (You have no idea how it's going to affect you until you have to see that thing flailing around in your kitchen. Don't judge me.)

Fortunately, he was here this time when the old-fashioned traps got another one. This trap was behind our stove, which meant the stove had to be moved in order to remove the thing. What Adam found was...well, let me put it like this. You've all seen those "exposé's" on 20/20 and such, exposing housing conditions that you cringe at, often wondering how someone could live in such squalor, or causing you to shake your heads in bewilderment that a landlord could keep an apartment in such horrendous conditions for which people are actually paying money. It was like that.

Needless to say, Adam "got on the horn" via email and started some chain of events that we hope will result in cleaner, healthier apartment living conditions. Can I just say....Lord, please get us through this year!

Yea!: originally posted on November 5, 2007

As I write, I have guys trooping in and out of my apartment in an attempt to rid our place of the ickyness. So far, they've ripped out my stove and cleaned out the 5 years (or more) worth of dirt underneath. A new stove in the hallway awaits installation. I cleaned out my bottom cabinets and they will be cleaning, patching and painting. The nice exterminator man came and found numerous holes (8 to be exact) where mice can come in. More traps were placed and directions given to the repair crew. Several very nice, apologetic emails were sent our way, assurances given and meetings set up for the near future. I actually received an email from one of the top guys at Residential Services stating that he was "deeply embarrassed," and that they will do everything they can to "get these conditions corrected ASAP." Apparently, the University doesn't want any bad publicity, and, really, who can blame them?

1 comment:

carrie said...

I remember that!!

and there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with reposting when it's a good one. And that one was. I hate for good writing to sit unread.