Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A shameless plug

Remember last week how I told you all I get to write for this great website newsletter? Well, the sweet gal who runs the website actually liked what I wrote, so I get to keep it up. Pretty cool, I think. (I don't want to make that sound like she's not a nice person, she's very cool and down-to-earth, two qualities I adore in a friend.) I thought you all might be interested in reading what I write each week, so I'll be posting the write-up here on my blog, but also, please hop on over to the website just ths once. I realize not one of you lives here (but, Dianne, you're close!), so it might not be super interesting to you, but there are these sites in a lot of cities, so you might just find one in yours! Check out VailParent.com.

Last week's theme was teens (in orange), this week was fashion (in blue). Two things I really know nothing about. I love a challenge!

Kindergarten kids feel a sense of awe as they enter school for the first time. Coming from the comfortable safety of home, or the cozy atmosphere of preschool, they're suddenly surrounded by big kids, a big building, and big teachers. This must be intimidating. I see them in our school walking around that first week, heads tilted towards the ceiling, eyes sort of popping, mouths sometimes hanging ajar. They are so new. So fresh. So....green.

Then comes first grade. What a difference! My daughter has entered first grade this year, and my sweet, naive, big-eyed Kindergartner came home that first day of 1st grade a smart, savvy, know-it-all! What happened? I think parents are given 1st grade as a gift. It's a year where their little child can explore being "grown-up," learn about boundaries, and try and figure out who they are before reality comes crashing down in 2nd grade. Because it does. Every 2nd grader is taken down a notch from that 1st grade year. Second graders are more personable, easier to get along with, and are interested in what the "big people" might have to say. That gift-year of 1st grade is a year for parents to get a sense of what the teen years just might look like. The looks of incredulity from my own personal 1st grader are enough to make me sympathize with my own parents during those lovely teen years!

However, the teen years, like 1st grade, are years of exploring new things, learning boundaries, and finding out who they are and, more importantly, who they want to be. If you are a parent of a teenager, there are some great things to do in our area. Read on, and then check them out!

As a child, my Mom made a lot of my clothes. Especially dresses. I have fond memories of sitting on those high stools at the fabric shop, scouring the pattern books, looking for that perfect pattern. Then it was off to the racks to find that perfect material to go with that perfect pattern. Usually, my mom and I could agree on a pattern, but when it came to the material, we definitely had different opinions. She went for the subtle, feminine, little girl look, while I was more on the side of bold, teetering on gaudy. My six year old brain couldn’t understand why tropical orange flowers on a purple background just wouldn’t go with my brown Mary-Janes and white bobby socks. Fortunately, for my future self-esteem and self-respect, my mom usually won those debates.

I’d like to think I’ve come a long way since the days of fuchsia and lime. I tend to stick to basics: black, brown, blue, and an occasional green. And what can be more basic than jeans. They are almost always on my daily menu. This fall, when I pulled out my stand-by blues, my husband took one look and nicely said if I wanted to get some new jeans that would be “ok”. So I marched my holey, faded-self on over to the nearest store and found myself some decent “grown-up” jeans. The stores frequented in college can be kind in that department, but if you’re looking to branch out from denim and T-shirts, you might just find what you’re looking for in this week’s newsletter.

2 comments:

Emily said...

I loved the first grader/school post. Very well written. I'm in the pre-teen/teen stage and the thing that is MOST important to my kids? their hair. I'm serious...their hair. It's like this huge battle sometimes, so I'm learning to roll w/ it.

I wonder if I'm alone on that?

Michelle said...

Beth that was wonderful! The parents of Vail are in for a real treat!!!

God Bless,
Michelle